Sunday, April 10, 2016

And on the third day, there was grinding metal brackets

At the end of the day, Elon and I were able to cut up our metal brackets that attach the PVC main chassis board. I decided not to buy the $100 worth of brackets, and instead buy 2 of them for around $18. To make the most of it, I cut two 6 inch pieces and then two 18 inches from the 48 inch. After than I cut the other 48 inch into two 24 inch pieces. I realized after I cut them, I will need to make another trip to Home Depot for one more 36 inch bracket.

A couple of notes on cutting metal.
1. I do not own a band saw, and the hand file would never had worked. So, I broke out my dremel and a metal cutting blade.
2. Grinding outside when windy and dry, probably not the best idea. However I took precautions and had my hose out and watered the grass around me.
3. Elon and I both were wearing eye protection, and as you can see in the photo, he was standing far away from me, but still watching closely. That is the whole point of this project with him.


After cleaning up my work area, and dealing with a 4.5 year who just wants to go ride his bike instead of grinding metal.... I was able to place the brackets on the main PVC chassis board.


I think it turned out quite well. After dinner I started on the dimensions for the upright board which the "motherboard" will attach to. For the life of me, I dont know why they want to cut a whole for the motherboard to attach onto. Only thing I can think of is it makes servicing the unit easier if you have to take if on and off again. 
Its midnight now, and tomorrow is a work day. This project will need to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment