Saturday, April 9, 2016

And so it begins.... Elon looks excited!




Elon and I returned home to see our first packages arriving for our Food Computer build.



 We opened the boxes, and got right to work. This was Elon's first time holding a soldering iron. I made sure it was off for this picture.


 We did not have all the components to place on the prototype board but I was able to place all of the arduino headers necessary to pass the signals from the Arduino Mega through to the Groove shield which will come shortly.

Attention spans for this much soldering is something to be desired.... Elon went up for a snack while I finished. When I came up I offered for him to join me on the home depot trip to pick up the material for chassis. He declined, and it turned out, was a good thing. Transporting the 96 inch long insulation and pvc board would not be possible with two cars seats in the back and Elon in one of them.

While I was at home depot I asked them if they would slice up the insulation and the pvc board.





















I followed the recommendation from the  github documentation

However, recommendations on the PVC were not to be found. Luckily while in the store I was able to find a post indicating the PVC dimensions:
Here are the dimensions that I used:
PVC Base Board, 32.875 in x 21.125 in
PVC Motherboard Dock Panel, 31.875 in x 21.375 in
PVC Motherboard Panel, 20.75 in x 15.75 in
 Erroring on larger is better, I asked him to cut 33 x 24 inchs, and then 31 x 24 inch, and lastly two 16 x 24 inch cut outs from the PVC. I had to make a quick decision and now I realize I undersized the motherboard dock panel. perhaps I can get away with a little less on the top.




After Elon went to bed I spent some time on the chassis. I have to say the price listed for the metal work is too much. My plan, create a strong foundation, but use small wood trim to frame out the rest.

You can see I took a printout from eDrawing and then added the dimensions to it. I spent quite a long time double checking my measurements....finally I drilled. So far so good. I am eager to cut the metal trim, but with two kids sleeping I can not do it tonight for risk of the fire alarm potentially going off.



No comments:

Post a Comment