Monday, April 25, 2016

Packages from China are starting to arrive.... The "Kit" has been ordered.

It has been a few days since my last post.The Grove shield arrived and guess what, my gamble on the connector type did not pay off. So.... out comes the pliers to pull off their headers and replaced with the JST headers I had purchased. Once that was done, on went the shield, and further debug and testing commenced.

Elon and I made it to home depot to pick up the remaining supplies. Here is Elon carrying down the foam board for the tub. I traced the outside of the tub, then using a caliper measured the depth of the side. Using one edge of the caliper I scrapped the new inside dimensions out. The fit was perfect. So good that I had to drill a hole just to remove the panel. I will wait to drill the seed holes once the "rock wool" arrives.


I started on the window as my lexan 24x24 window arrived. I cut some cost by not buying a full sheet as the BOM intended.  I placed some magnets on the high bond tape and some on the lexan. When I went to remove the window, the magnet pulled off the shell. Left the mess behind. I did some searching on the internet about good glue for foam and the Gorilla Glue appears to have a good high bond, so I plan to patch this up and replace the magnet once the Gorilla Glue arrives.

 Some more items... the instructions do not comment on the wiring of the LED panels. I used the extra Wago connectors used earlier and spliced the hot, neutral and ground lines together. This made it easier to route the wires to the one AC switched plug meant for the grow lights.


Another modification to the design I made was using the wire shell from the AC cables I noticed they make really good and stiff spacers for the internal fan. This way it should be able to provide better airflow through the chamber. Just screw the long screw through the wire shell and then into the PVC.







 A few more pictures of the shell coming together. I moved the motherboard panel onto the shell wall as well.


















The spray glue arrived today and this will allow me to glue the white plastic cover onto the shell. This should give some more strength to the shell when the window is placed on and off.

We are still missing our temp and humidity sensor... its on its way..... Also we ordered the wet kit and some seeds. We plan to start with lettuce and bell peppers. Lets see how we do....

Again any tips on seed starting would be much appreciated at this point.

Till next time, keep building, learning and "growing"...

No comments:

Post a Comment